Thursday, February 07, 2008

Introducing...

Here's a "project" that I am working on at school.

First I want to share a little history. Here's a picture of Ms. Ineeda Word (Me) in our "Jungle" several years ago. She's on the right side pictured with Professor Sayit Clearly (a 4th Grade Colleague) and Granny Write (My Assistant Principal). Here are Ms. Ineeda Word and the Professor with Captain Wanna Write (Our Math Coach--in camo) and Captain Hook (my Principal). We are looking at good "Hooks" in student writing.
We had a great time each week talking about what good writers do. But like every good show, that one ran it's course. We were on for two years here at my school and figured it was time for a new "gimmick".

Our Jungle morphed into our school's Jungle Book set for last year's school-wide play:

Sooooo...this year we introduced the "Fab Five Farm" based on the "Fab Five Elements" of good Reading instruction: Phonics, Phonemic Awareness, Vocabulary, Fluency and Comprehension.

And HEEEERE are the first two characters on the Farm:Reada Reada Pumpkin Reader (Me) and Ms. Sadie the Cowgirl from Tennessee (My Friend D). We talked about how to choose a book that is "just right" and now give tips that good readers use when they read books. The kids and teachers love it. Recently "Cousin Cletus" joined us. He loves to talk about eating at the Waffle House.

Now we hear that Pa Pumpkin and Ma Pumpkin and possibly Ms. Reada's little brother "Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater" might be on...

It's all for the cause...So, I'll leave you with Mrs. Reada's poem:
Reada Reada Pumpkin Reader Had a book that wouldn't teach her She learned to pick a book just right And now she reads both day and night!

5 comments:

Amy @ Literacy Launchpad said...

Clever.. and hilarious! I love it!

Jen Barney said...

THIS IS GREAT!

Jenny said...

These pictures are wonderful!

Mrs. Johnson said...

Wow! You make reading fun and interesting!

Unknown said...

As a coach, I have been visiting sites looking for ideas that I could gleam from others. I appreciate that you share ideas. If you want writing lessons, I post a new writing lesson almost every day on my site:
www.debrennersmith.com