Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentines...Some things never change

It's the end of testing week (well, the first round anyway) here in our state and tomorrow's a teacher work day. Kids are excited that they get a four day weekend and that today is Valentines Day.

Last night while filling out cards with my own third grader, I was reminiscing about my own Elementary School days. And I realized that some things ARE still the same. Oh the cards are more elaborate than ever. I mean thirty years ago ours just had pictures and a little sentiment on them. Theirs have punch outs, stick-ons, and all sorts of doo-dads to make them more exciting. But despite the intricate design, the heart of the day is still similar.

So what is the same?
  • We still allow kids to exchange them in school

  • Kids still share candy on this day

  • The little sweet hearts are still around

  • They still don't like giving a card to the "kid they don't like" even when the teacher says each person must give a card to everyone

  • There are still young romances that "pop up" around this date

  • Teachers still "lighten the load" a bit on these days

  • Kids and teachers still smile and delight in this simple exchange

So much in our system has increased in complexity since "my days". Sometimes it makes me downright SAD!

I, for one, am glad that there ARE still those simple moments of joy in the classroom....even if I have to look harder to FIND them!

4 comments:

Katie Dicesare said...

All your observations seem so true...candy is also big these days. My son counted 22 pieces he had in his bag. I don't remember candy just cards when I was young. My primary kiddos love this day. What can be so bad about a day when we think of others?

Anonymous said...

I agree-- a day of love is great. Yes, children also need to show the love. My students recieved more than just cards-- a sugar high! It was a good day! Andi

Cathy said...

I know this has nothing to do with Valentine's Day...but I was looking at your blog and saw the books about primary centers...could you tell me more about these or is there someplace I could go to learn more about them? I am wondering what some examples might be. Feel free to leave me a comment on your blog or on mine or let me know if you'd rather have my e-mail address.

Jen Barney said...

thanks for your thoughts! love it...