Last night while filling out cards with my own third grader, I was reminiscing about my own Elementary School days. And I realized that some things ARE still the same. Oh the cards are more elaborate than ever. I mean thirty years ago ours just had pictures and a little sentiment on them. Theirs have punch outs, stick-ons, and all sorts of doo-dads to make them more exciting. But despite the intricate design, the heart of the day is still similar.
So what is the same?
- We still allow kids to exchange them in school
- Kids still share candy on this day
- The little sweet hearts are still around
- They still don't like giving a card to the "kid they don't like" even when the teacher says each person must give a card to everyone
- There are still young romances that "pop up" around this date
- Teachers still "lighten the load" a bit on these days
- Kids and teachers still smile and delight in this simple exchange
So much in our system has increased in complexity since "my days". Sometimes it makes me downright SAD!
I, for one, am glad that there ARE still those simple moments of joy in the classroom....even if I have to look harder to FIND them!